Sunday, July 28, 2013

How many years will a digital camera last?

Question by Jake: How many years will a digital camera last?
How long do digital cameras generally last? Assuming it never gets dropped and the camera gets used quite frequently for pics and vids.

I am going to get my first digital camera, but Ive heard they only last 2-3 years. The camera I want is a 350 dollar Sony HX20V. But I dont feel it is worth the money if the camera will only last 2-3 years. Any opinions on what I should do?


Best answer:

Answer by flyingtiggeruk
I've got one (Olympus c40) that's over 11 years old and still works fine.



Add your own answer in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I have a Kodak DC120 my Dad bought in 1996 or so and it works fine. Newer digital cameras aren't built as well as older ones, buy if you take care of yours it should easily last 4 or 5 years. By then, it will be totally outdated and you'll be ready for a new one even your current camera works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when they say 'last' they don't really mean 'wear out', they mean 2-3 years until it is superseded to the extent that it is considered redundant and not supported by the manufacturer. The better a camera, the longer its useful life, but my girlfriend is still using the 4mp canon I bought her about ten years ago. It still turns out great images too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photography is an expensive sport. Yes, there are film cameras from the fifties and earlier still kicking around, but these cameras charge the user $ .50-$ 1.50 every time the shutter release is pressed.

    Compact digitals have a memory battery that will die after 5-10 years, but the mechanical parts last practically forever if you take care of them. The most common causes of death are moisture, sand in the gears, or shock from dropping the camera.

    ReplyDelete